Building History Detail
Merchants & Manufacturers Building

An eight story glazed terra cotta, enameled brick, and reinforced concrete building with a central light court on the south side of the building. In 1945, American State Bank bought the building. The ornamental terra cotta cornice has since been removed. It is currently known as the River Bank Plaza Building with the Rock Bottom Brewery on the ground floor. It was also known as the Realty Building in 1935. The dimensions of the building are 80x135 feet.

Architect: Fernekes and Cramer

Year Built: 1912, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
216 West Water St (1912 - 1929)
740 N Plankinton (1930 - present)

WHS Historical Images
Construction News, May 25, 1912
Milwaukee Sentinel, September 8, 1912
Milwaukee Journal, November 6, 1945

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 114034

Record Update: 2014-08-09