Building History Detail
Republican Hotel

The Republican was a four story brick hotel with two towers over the Third Street entrance and the Kilbourn Street entrance. A portion of it was built in 1836 as the Washington House at 3rd and Vliet. Half of it was moved to this location and stood as a hotel until it was torn down in 1884 to be replaced by the new larger structure. An addition was made in 1892 and another annex was added in 1900. The owners were the Charles F Kletsch family from 1875 until December 1919 when it was finally sold to Ray Smith.

Architect: unknown

Year Built: 1884, Year Demolished: 1961

Address History:
241-245 3rd St (1884 - 1929)
907 N 3rd St (1930 - 1961)

Milwaukee Sentinel Article
Milwaukee Sentinel, March 30, 1930
Postcard From UWM Collection
Postcard From UWM Collection
MPL Remember When
MPL Remember When
Milwaukee Journal, May 19, 1955
Milwaukee Sentinel, December 24, 1919

Record Update: 2009-02-16