Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Wisconsin Telephone

A nine story building built as an exchange and offices for Wisconsin Telephone. It later became headquarters for Time Insurance. In 1996 it was demolished for the construction of the Midwest Express Center. Some of its ornate architectural elements were salvaged and displayed in the City Yards Reliquary Garden on 4th Street, between Wisconsin and Wells.

Architect: Eschweiler, Alexander C

Year Built: 1906, Year Demolished: 1996

Address History:
183 5th St (1906 - 1929)
735 N 5th St (1930 - 1996)

Sources:
Milwaukee Journal, February 17, 1906
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, May 20, 1996

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 71549

Record Update: 2013-05-15

Picture: