Building History Detail
Espenhain Department Store

A four story, solid brick building with a stone front built in the neoclassical style. A grand domed cupola graced the top of the 4th & Wisconsin Avenue corner but was removed around the turn of the century. The west half of the building was originally built as the Library Block by the Plankinton estate. It also partially served from 1894 to 1896 as the West Side High School. Espenhain's department store moved here from its Water Street location in 1906. An exterior renovation in 1913 painted the exterior walls white and added terra cotta to modernize the building. The store became a victim of the depression in the early 1930's and the building was torn down in 1935.

Architect: Mix, E T

Year Built: 1880, Year Demolished: 1935

Address History:
400 Grand Ave (1880 - 1929)
400 W Wisconsin Ave (1930 - 1935)

MPL Historic Photos
MPL Historic Photos
MPL Historic Photos
MPL Remember When
UWM Postcard Collection
Milwaukee Sentinel, February 28, 1878
Milwaukee Sentinel, February 21, 1909
Milwaukee Journal, March 28, 1913
Milwaukee Journal, February 4, 1935

Record Update: 2013-05-15