Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Milwaukee Journal

A three story reinforced concrete and brick building built as headquarters for the Milwaukee Journal to which they move in April of 1907. The original stone front has been replaced and modernized. It served as the head office of the newspaper until they moved to their current quarters on 4th and State in the autumn of 1924. In 1931 it was turned into the "Goodfellows Hall" which was a homeless shelter and soup kitchen.

Architect: Ferry and Clas

Year Built: 1907, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
182-184 4th St (1907 - 1929)
728-734 N 4th St (1930 - present)

Sources:
Wisconsin Historical Society Photo
Milwaukee Sentinel, April 14, 1907
Milwaukee Journal, April 13, 1907


Record Update: 2009-07-30

Picture: