Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Cross Keys Hotel

This three story brick structure was originally built by Bailey Stimson for a hotel on Milwaukee's main thoroughfares. After his death in 1863 it was changed to the American House and later to the Juneau House. The building was originally a four-story but the top story was removed in the 1870s. A fire in November 1979 gutted the building and it was finally demolished in 1980.

Architect: Palmer and Bingham

Year Built: 1853, Year Demolished: 1980

Address History:
293-295 East Water St (1853 - 1929)
401-403 N Water St (1930 - 1980)

Sources:
MPL Remember When Photo
Milwaukee Sentinel, March 17, 1853
Milwaukee Sentinel, September 3, 1853
Milwaukee Journal, November 25, 1954
Milwaukee Journal, September 13, 1970
Milwaukee Journal, November 28, 1979

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 16118

Record Update: 2010-05-14

Picture: