Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
St Charles Hotel

The north half of the original St Charles Hotel was built in 1858. It was bought by Pabst in 1890 and was gutted, expanded to the south, and rebuilt into a more modern hotel under Otto Strack's supervision. Power and heat were supplied entirely from the new Oneida Street Plant. During Prohibition in 1928 an alcohol raid led to the closing of the hotel and it lay dormant until its demolition several years later.

Architect: Mygatt and Schmidtner

Year Built: 1858, Year Demolished: 1932

Address History:
464 East Water St (1857 - 1929)
786 N Water St (1930 - 1932)

Sources:
Milwaukee Sentinel Article
Milwaukee Sentinel, October 24, 1856
Milwaukee Sentinel, June 9, 1857
Milwaukee Sentinel, December 14, 1890
Milwaukee Sentinel, October 18, 1891
Milwaukee Sentinel, April 16, 1892
Milwaukee Journal, April 18, 1892
UWM Digital Postcard Collection
UWM Digital Postcard Collection


Record Update: 2008-10-01

Picture: