Building History Detail
Hotel Carlton

A three story brick building which was originally the home of Downer College when it was known as the Milwaukee Female Seminary. This became the first permanent building for the College. It was converted into a hotel in 1902 at which time the characteristic gothic spires and rounded windows were removed. The building was torn down for the Juneau Village apartment complex.

Architect: unknown

Year Built: 1852, Year Demolished: 1965

Address History:
602-614 Milwaukee St (1852 - 1929)
1120 N Milwaukee St (1930 - 1965)

UWM Digital Collection
Milwaukee Sentinel, September 6, 1901
Milwaukee Sentinel, October 9, 1938
Milwaukee Sentinel, June 24, 1941
Milwaukee Journal, February 16, 1965

Record Update: 2013-05-15