Building History Detail
Masonic Building

This red-brick building was seven stories high with a main hall on the fifth floor. The style of the building was gothic revival with a peaked roof and gables. It was built as the Wisconsin Commandery of the Knights Templar branch of the Masons. The County acquired the building early in the 20th century and used it as a courthouse annex. The State bought it in 1950 for use as offices and later swapped it with the City for land on which the new State office building now stands.

Architect: Ferry and Clas

Year Built: 1896, Year Demolished: 1965

Address History:
470 Jefferson St (1896 - 1929)
794 N Jefferson St (1930 - 1965)

Milwaukee Sentinel, August 21, 1895
Milwaukee Journal, May 26, 1965
WHS Historical Images

Record Update: 2011-12-01