Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Caswell Building

Originally known as the Caswell building, after Napolean Caswell, the name was changed in 1982 to the Posner building. A seven story reinforced concrete office building faced with St Louis white enameled brick and terra cotta ornaments. A pair of gargoyles known as "Charlie" and "McCarthy" stand over the main entrance next to the date of 1907 even though the building was not finished until 1908. A nine story addition was added on the north side of the building along Plankinton Avenue and opened in November 1913. Real estate developer, Arthur J. Straus bought the building in 1925 and operated it until 1964, shortly before his death. The building currently has plans to be converted into apartments under a new owner.

Architect: Van Ryn and De Gelleke

Year Built: 1908, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
106-124 Grand Ave (1908 - 1929)
152 W Wisconsin Ave (1930 - present)

Sources:
Milwaukee Sentinel, April 21, 1908
Milwaukee Sentinel, November 29, 1913
UWM Digital Collection
Milwaukee Sentinel, December 18, 1982

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 16194

Record Update: 2014-06-03

Picture: