Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Birchard Building

A five story cream city brick building built in an Italianate style for John F Birchard. It was originally a four story building with a mansard roof and contained a large hall for the Excelsior Gymnasium on the fourth floor. This building later housed Reckmeyer Furs from 1955 until 1996 and was bought and renovated by Johnson Bank in 2001.

Architect: Mix, E T

Year Built: 1868, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
121 Wisconsin St (1868 - 1929)
329 E Wisconsin Ave (1930 - present)

Sources:
Milwaukee Sentinel, October 1, 1867
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, November 1, 1995
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, October 17, 2001

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 41173

Record Update: 2013-05-15

Picture: