Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
T A Chapman

Chapman's Dry Goods was established in 1857 as Chapman and Hassett. T.A. Chapman became sole owner in 1865 and built this four story store in 1885 after a fire had destroyed an earlier building at this location. The design was a modern commercial style of white brick with decorations of terra cotta in a French Renaissance style. The building had dimensions of 46x210-ft. In 1911, several adjacent buildings were combined in a large-scale renovation.

Architect: Mix, E T

Year Built: 1885, Year Demolished: 1982

Address History:
125-139 Wisconsin St (1885 - 1929)
407 E Wisconsin Ave (1930 - 1982)

Sources:
Milwaukee Sentinel, December 14, 1884
Milwaukee Sentinel, April 5, 1885
Milwaukee Journal, June 2, 1911


Record Update: 2009-01-08

Picture: