Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Chicago & Northwestern Railway Depot

Milwaukee's second grand railway station was a towering edifice of red brick built for the Chicago and Northwestern railroad. The design was Richardsonian Romanesque with a 234 foot clock tower. It was closed on May 16, 1966 and torn down on April 3, 1968.

Architect: Frost, Charles Sumner

Year Built: 1889, Year Demolished: 1968

Address History:
261-275 Wisconsin St (1889 - 1929)
901 E Wisconsin Ave (1930 - 1968)

Sources:
UWM Digital Collection
UWM Digital Collection
WHS Historical Images
Milwaukee Sentinel, February 25, 1888
Milwaukee Sentinel, May 16, 1966
Milwaukee Sentinel February 17, 1988


Record Update: 2009-10-04

Picture: