Building History Detail
Marble Hall

A four story brick building which was next door to the Newhall House when it burned down in 1883. Marble Hall survived the fire and lasted for a good many years afterwards as a watering hole and meeting place for politicians and well known Milwaukeeans. The saloon which made the building famous was started in 1867 by Fred Snyder. Mr. Snyder was a survivor of the sinking of the Lady Elgin in 1860 and the hall was used for an annual banquet to honor the disaster until his death in March of 1897.

Architect: unknown

Year Built: 1856, Year Demolished: ?

Address History:
383-385 Main St (1856 - 1870)
383-385 Broadway (1871 - 1929)
625-629 N Broadway (1930 - ?)

Milwaukee Journal, June 2, 1892
Wisconsin News, January 19, 1933
James Buck's Pioneer History of Milwaukee

Record Update: 2009-01-20