Building History Detail
Fourth Ward Square

Although established in 1835 it wasn't until 1877 that the park was landscaped and properly designed by gardener Thomas Armstrong. In 1911, this was one of several parks that were transferred over to the Parks Commission. The park has also been known as Union Square, renamed Pere Marquette Park in 1956, renamed Carl Zeidler Park in 1969 when it was also made a location in which unlicensed speeches could be made, and finally renamed Zeidler Union Square in 1995 in honor of Milwaukee's labor movement. In December 1957 a marble statue of Father Marquette was placed in the park as a donation from the students of Marquette University High School.

Architect: unknown

Year Built: 1835, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
Sycamore St (1835 - 1929)
W Michigan Ave (1930 - present)

Milwaukee Sentinel, May 10, 1877
Milwaukee Journal, October 24, 1956
Milwaukee Journal, December 13, 1957
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, September 3, 1995

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 108640

Record Update: 2010-05-14