Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Security Building

This eight story building was built as a department store for Stumpf & Langhoff although it was occupied for a time by the Lefly store. It became known as the Security building in 1916. The construction was a reinforced concrete skeleton with a glazed, white terra cotta exterior and an elaborate classical style cornice. It was built in an amazing 8 months by the General Contractor James Utley. Since it's construction it has been completely renovated with a changed appearance twice, once in 1965 for Midland Bank and the most recent in 2007.

Architect: Schnetzky and Sons

Year Built: 1912, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
209 Grand Ave (1912 - 1929)
213 W Wisconsin Ave (1930 - present)

Sources:
Construction News, May 25, 1912
Milwaukee Sentinel, January 1, 1913
Milwaukee Sentinel, March 25, 1913
Milwaukee Journal, March 25, 1914
WHS Historical Images
MPL Historic Photos

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 110786

Record Update: 2010-05-14