Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Terris Building

A two story brick building with a cream colored terra cotta front. The Terris Club was a burlesque club which operated for more than 30 years and was owned by businessman and boxing promoter, Tom Terris. The club gained fame in 1958 when it switched over from live musicians to recorded music to save on the higher costs of the union musicians. The other half of the building was occupied by Spheeris Brothers sporting goods store. A fire burned the building in March of 1960 and it was torn down several years later.

Architect: unknown

Year Built: 1924, Year Demolished: 1964

Address History:
517-525 Wells St (1924 - 1929)
521 W Wells St (1930 - 1964)

Sources:
Milwaukee Sentinel, November 28, 1958
Milwaukee Sentinel, February 15, 1960


Record Update: 2011-03-20