Building History Detail

This large hall was built as the Hippodrome and later became the Dreamland Dance Hall before it became a garage and auto dealership. As the Hippodrome it held Milwaukee's first auto shows and was also used as a venue for boxing matches. Gambling rooms were concealed in the basement which were removed in a 1933 renovation. The building had dimensions of 175x168 feet.

Architect: Koch, Henry C

Year Built: 1907, Year Demolished: 1961

Address History:
620 Wells St (1907 - 1929)
W Wells St (1930 - 1961)

Milwaukee Sentinel September 2, 1906
Milwaukee Journal, May 28, 1933
Milwaukee Journal, August 27, 1953
MPL Historic Photos
WHS Historical Images

Record Update: 2010-01-03