Building History Detail
Milwaukee Auditorium

The two story auditorium was a one block square public building with a large 330'x180' main hall in the west wing. The east wing consisted of five smaller halls named after city pioneers Juneau, Walker, Kilbourn, Layton, and Plankinton. The structure was built of reinforced concrete and steel with a red brick exterior. It was built to replace the Exposition Building which burned down in June of 1905. The auditorium was officially opened on September 21, 1909

In November 2003 a major renovation was finished which renamed the auditorium as the Milwaukee Theatre. The exterior was changed to make it resemble a retro 19th century style which changed the neo-classical, yet utilitarian early-20th century style.

Architect: Ferry and Clas

Year Built: 1909, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
502 Cedar St (1909 - 1929)
500 W Kilbourn St (1930 - present)

Milwaukee Journal Article
Milwaukee Sentinel, September 22, 1909
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, November 6, 2003
WHS Historical Images
UWM Postcard Collection
UWM Postcard Collection
Milwaukee Sentinel, August 2, 1908

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 73319

Record Update: 2014-07-19