Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Plankinton Building

The Plankinton building was originally built as a two story arcade of shops and was a forerunner of the modern shopping mall. The construction was reinforced concrete with an exterior of cream-colored glazed terra cotta. Inside, surrounding a 64-foot diameter rotunda was space for 68 stores. Skylights along the full length of the arcades provided plenty of light. An additional five floors for offices were added in 1925.

Architect: Holabird and Roche

Year Built: 1916, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
123-127 Grand Ave (1916 - 1929)
159-163 W Wisconsin Ave (1930 - present)

Sources:
MPL Historic Photos
MPL Historic Photos
MPL Historic Photos
MPL Historic Photos
MPL Historic Photos
Milwaukee Journal, December 2, 1915
Milwaukee Sentinel, January 1, 1916
Milwaukee Journal, December 17, 1916
Milwaukee Journal, May 10, 1925
Milwaukee Sentinel, August 26, 1982

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 41866

Record Update: 2010-01-03