Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Milwaukee Art Institute

This was originally a one story, stone faced building built as an office for the Land, Log, and Lumber Company and bought to house the Milwaukee Art Institute in 1911. An extra floor was added in a 1921 expansion. Pieces of the facade were salvaged and re-used as decorations in the interior of the Office on the Square building which sits at the same location.

Architect: Ferry and Clas

Year Built: 1893, Year Demolished: 1957

Address History:
456 Jefferson St (1893 - 1929)
772 N Jefferson St (1930 - 1957)

Sources:
Remember When Photo
Milwaukee Journal, May 19, 1911
Milwaukee Journal, July 1, 1957


Record Update: 2010-01-01

Picture: