Street Guide To Old Milwaukee

Building History Detail
Gimbels Parking Pavilion

A two story reinforced concrete parking garage built for the Gimbels Department Store. It was built in the Art Moderne style and cost approximately $250,000. The dimensions of the structure was 200 x 200 feet and space was built to hold 700 cars. A special sales floor for household appliances called 'Electric City' was built on the ground floor.

Architect: Drolshagen, Frank

Year Built: 1947, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
555 N Plankinton Ave. (1947 - present)

Sources:
WHS Article
Milwaukee Journal, May 18, 1947
Milwaukee Journal, May 19, 1947

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 113344

Record Update: 2010-05-18