Building History Detail
Brumder Building

An eight story gray stone and brown pressed brick building built in the Italian Renaissance style. Large copper covered domes in the shape of Kaiser helmets sit on the four corners of the roof. The Brumder was originally called the Germania building until WWI. During the war, anti-German feelings forced Milwaukeeans to hide any references to being allied with the fatherland so it was renamed the Brumder Building in honor of the owner, George Brumder.

Architect: Schnetzky and Liebert

Year Built: 1896, Year Demolished: n/a

Address History:
105 Wells St (1896 - 1929)
135 W Wells St (1930 - present)

UWM Digital Collection
Milwaukee Journal, January 5, 1896
MPL Historic Photos
Milwaukee Sentinel, January 5, 1896

Wisconsin Historical Society AHI#: 28216

Record Update: 2009-02-16